Ever made a Pony?

Posted by is9582 on January 4, 2016as , , , , , , , ,

As I mentioned in the article I posted yesterday (here), I planned to make a Stitching Pony. While I was working on a project, I happened to recall seeing Jason Thigpen’s video over at TxHeritage.net a while ago, where he used his saw vise to hold leather he was stitching. I figured I should give my saw vise a try, at least in “Test Mode”, just to see how mine behaved for me.

At first I was a little concerned that I might not have enough travel, on the front jaw of my saw vise, to handle the thickness of leather I planned to use. It turned out that I had a little to spare, but not a great deal. I guess the positive thing, in my saw vise build, is the bolt I used isn’t glued into place and it would be simple to swap for one that is slightly longer. When building the vise, I never imagined wanting to hold any saw’s plate that would be anywhere near the thickness of two layers of this leather.

 

I clamped a small section of leather in the saw vise I made a while back, to see how it would handle stitching some pieces.

I clamped a small section of leather (red arrow) in the saw vise I made a while back, to see how it would handle stitching some pieces.

 

While I was mounting my awesome saw vise, I began thinking I really should go forward with building the Stitching Pony. This is in part because I expect I’ll do at least some leather stitching, at my bench inside my house, during the colder Winter months as well as the scorchers in the Summer.

I’ve seen a number of Stitching Pony ideas, and I’ve decided to make mine a little smaller in scale than some out there. At this point I’m not planning or expecting to do a ton of leather stitching, and the stuff in mind is fairly small, so it should do just fine. If something changes down the road, I can always make a larger version, and use the small one for smaller scale work.

I used some off-cuts that were in my shop, to get the two jaws of my future Pony glued and clamped up. I used polyurethane glue for the Pony jaws, and brought both inside so the glue would cure properly, and will leave them clamped overnight.

 

Stitching Pony's left jaw,  with parts glued up and clamped.

Stitching Pony’s left jaw, with parts glued up and clamped.

 

Stitching Pony's right jaw,  with parts glued up and clamped.

Stitching Pony’s right jaw, with parts glued up (a bit heavy on the glue, I know) and clamped.

 

Tomorrow I plan to trim and shape the dried jaws, and I’ll see if I have enough spare time to complete my new little horsy, er um, Pony.

Thanks as always for stopping by and checking out the article. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Lee Laird

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>